31 January 2014

on rereading: Gloria

As mentioned earlier, I am rereading Gloria by Keith Maillard. As of writing this, I'm about 200 pages into it and oh, how I am loving this book. It really is the perfect novel for me. Gloria, a young woman who loves clothes, boys, but above all, poetry.

I had forgotten that Susie was religious and the long conversations about literature. I had forgotten about Delta Lambda and being rushed. I had forgotten how early Billy Dougherty turned menacing. I had forgotten so much, but I am remembering the pleasure of reading the book and I wonder if the pleasure I'm feeling now is equal to, or even greater, than on first read.

A lot has happened to me in the fifteen or so years since reading it the first time and I know that there are things that are resonating with me thanks to my own life experiences that flew above my head the first time. I am now much closer to Laney's age than Gloria's, and I am far more sympathetic to her now. I am aware at how deftly Maillard crafts the family relationships, their conversations, how beautifully handles subtext.

I shall cut this short as I'd much rather use the little time I have to (re)read Gloria than write about it.

3 comments:

Buried In Print said...

This sounds like a story that I would love: thanks for adding it to my TBR list. (I'd've enjoyed hearing more about it, but I guess you've said just enough to pique my interest!)

Sara O'Leary said...

I've been meaning to re-visit Gloria as well. We were just talking about it the other day....

m said...

Buried In Print, I hope you do read it! I'd love to know what you think of it.

Sara, you should! We can talk about it when we go for a drink in March.