29 August 2013

I think I'm going to like it here

With our childcare finally figured out (knock on wood, DID YOU HEAR THAT UNIVERSE? I'm KNOCKING!), I've been able to be up at the CSRS two mornings this week. I've attended Coffee Talk and have been working on my course. (A little hiccup when it was pointed out that the week I thought was Reading Break was in fact a whole month before when it actually is, meant a lot of swearing and then some quick fixing. All will be good.)

Today's Coffee Talk was complete freeform. There were eight of us around the table and while the chat started out with one of the Fellows* describing a bit of the work he's doing regarding pre-Christian Celtic religion and Celtic Christianity (truly interesting work), the conversation veered into a discussion including, but not limited to: Westerns (as in the literary genre), Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey, eco-neo-paganism, the Holocaust, genocide, Cormac McCarthy, representations of the "settler" mythology, First Nations history, Scottish history, the responsibility of an author when writing about history, and Deadwood.

It was a great discussion and I'm so excited that I get to be a part of this community. Such a smart, interesting group of people.

*At first I thought people were using "fellow" as a charming way of saying "man" or "person", but I've now learned it's an academic term. I still think it's charming.

No comments: